Tuesday, July 26, 2011

a welcome resident


We have a couple pots on our deck for various herbs and such, the biggest of which held a tomato plant last year.  The tomato plant yielded one awesome tomato and then... nothing.  Anyway, sometime after, the nothing plant went away but the dirt stayed.  I didn't think much of my cute pot of dirt until my mother-in-law gave me some of her extra flowers.  I quickly transferred them to said pot and noticed that a few little leafies and things had taken residence.  I decided to see what they came up as and left them be.  Well, guess what.


One of them was a tree.



Is not this enchanting?  This little thing has made me feel all bubbly inside.  As if some knowing tree recognized my love for their kind and blessed me with a seedling.  I've decided to take it with us wherever we go.

Which reminds me of some small bit of news.

Ian is now employed with a marketing company in Lexington as a videographer.  Kind of huge news actually.  I suppose it's that this change hasn't quite sunk in yet for us.  It's still spanking new.  I feel like we're stuck in transition mode.  All the fine details haven't been mussed out either, especially since we'd  really like to keep Ian's dad's business on the docket (which thankfully looks as though that wont be an issue but for the two-hour distance.)  We're extremely grateful for this opportunity and we're excited about it.  It feels like its the right step for us.  But we're also surprised and a little sad at the thought of leaving Ashland.

Ashland's become home in many ways.  It was already home for Ian--but it's kind of become a new home for our tiny family.  I've really grown fond of the tall old trees and the quaint, kind people.  We love it most especially because it's where Ian's family is.  It's simply been wonderful to live so close to family.  I'm secretly crossing my fingers that if we make our way to Lexington that the rest of our clan wont be far behind, since James (Ian's bro) already lives there.  I can hope right?

We're not in any huge hurry to leave.  Luckily enough, the new boss is wonderful and wants Ian to be able to smoothly transition into the job.  So far, so good.  Pretty soon here though, when the time is right-- we'll make the jump.  Craziness. 

so that's what's happening.  unexpected and lovely changes like trees growing in your flower pot.

2 comments:

Megan said...

Congratulations! How exciting for you and Ian. I've been thinking about you two a lot lately, and missing you terribly Sascha. I'm excited to hear more about your newest adventure!

Brianna said...

Oh goodness that's so exciting!! Congrats.