Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Men


We were at D.I yesterday, picking up an extra mattress for those that come to stay with us. We walked it out to the car and Ian thought there was no need to tie it down, because he could simply hold it with his arm. I laughed and thought of this bit by Jerry Seinfeld:

"All men think of themselves as kind of low level superheroes in their own environment. When men are growing up, when they're reading about Batman, Spiderman, Superman-- these aren't fantasies, these are options. This is the way men really look at their own lives. I'm not even supposed to be telling you this. I'll give you a perfect example of what I'm talking about. Have you ever seen a guy moving a mattress tied to the roof of his car? He's out on the highway with this thing. He's always got the arm out the window holding the mattress too, right? Whatever he's rigged up there he's always helping along with the arm. This is classic male idiot superhero thinking. This moron actually believes that if the wind catches this huge rectangle at seventy miles an hour-- "I got it, I got it. Don't worry about it. I'm using my arm."

After some convincing, we went around to the back to get some twine to tie it down to the car. A couple of guys were also in the back tying a mattress to the top of their car. We walked up just as the D.I worker suggested to them that they tie it front ways so it didn't slide, to which the driver responded "Oh, I'm fine. I'll be holding it with my arm
."

A good moment, I thought.

3 comments:

Megan said...

I can't wait to come visit you and sleep on this said mattress! Probably the best image I've ever been able to dream up...There will be spooning on that mattress! Thanks Ian...

Oh and I saw Ian's twin again today. It's getting creepy.

Love you guys! Miss you Sascha

Liz D. said...

pah ha ha ha!

Mabs said...

....Ian.... hehe