I was babysitting the boys again. See this post. It was semi-last minute, but totally welcome. The only thing about it being last minute however was that the parents came in and explained that they'd forgotten to bring their diaper bag. They held up one diaper and a small bag of wipes that they had scrounged around for in their car. They figured he'd be fine though, because he'd already gone three times that day and that it was no biggie. Ha. Foreshadow anyone?
We had a pretty marvelous time. The boys helped me make pancakes. We drew some faces on real potatoes and played some make believe {read, we rolled them around on the ground and the older did all in his power to bash his potato into our potatoes.} I became pretty acquainted with Caillou (thank you Netflix instant streaming!) They made a fort/house/bed with my ottoman:
Everything was going great. It was getting around the time when mom and dad were coming to pick them up and I noticed that the younger's diaper was a trifle wet. Wanting to appear the responsible babysitter, I went ahead and changed him keeping in mind the assurance of the parents that I'd probably be safe from any other kind of incident. Well, guess what.
Yah. About a minute later (not exaggerating)... I smelt something not so nice coming from the younger's just changed pants. Then I had a moment of panic/laughter. I have no extra diapers to speak of. Come on. I barely have toys (remember how we had to make toys out of potatoes?) So, I went through my options. I could put the just discarded wet one back on him, but decided that would be gross. I could just let him go free style for a while until his parents came to pick them up. Yeah, that option didn't last long. So my next thought was to just wrap him up in a towel and hope for the best. And that thought paved the way for this little beauty:
What you are seeing is one of my dish cloths, held together on either side by a hair-tie, covered with a gallon-size Ziploc bag, holes cut for the legs. Innovation, baby.
Parents got back about a half hour after this little incident. And they laughed pretty hard at my makeshift diaper. Dad's first reaction was a sincere, dude-esque "Awesome," followed by profuse apologies {amidst chuckles} for not bringing more diapers. Pretty epic.
So much so in fact that the next time I babysat, their mom said 'dont worry, we brought plenty of diapers this time' and the dad chimed in with 'oh and there's also some dish cloths and Ziploc bags for you in there, just in case."
Hey, I'm just glad I didn't have to test the thing to see if it would work.
What would you have done? Really, I'd like to know.



4 comments:
There's always the "Ghostbuster" route, throw them in a giant sweatshirt for a diaper. haha, nice one Sasch
No I don't have a better one. That is quite genius. And adorable hahaha!
Love ya!
Hehehehe that was very clever. I probably would have stuck them in a bucket or something. The ziploc was genious.
Love it! I'm trying hard not to burst out laughing and wake Dave up.
I hope I would have been as resourceful as you were! I might have reused the old diaper. Once I had to use an old diaper and I lined it with paper towels, but I was at the beach so my options were limited.
Post a Comment