This was a while back. Tuesday, May 10th to be exact. But it's still pretty fresh in my memory. I'm still getting use to all of this new weather. I've absolutely loved it. It's beautiful. However, up until now I have never tasted the extreme. So this is my story.
I had left work at around 5:30 that day, expecting to be home ten to six, per usual. Little did I know that I wouldn't be coming home until about two hours later.
My co-worker and friend Angie and I usually drive together to work. I had driven that day and on the way home, decided to swing by and pick Ian up from his office before taking her to her car (which was parked at my apartment.) It was already raining really hard and pretty frightening to drive in anyway but when we turned up the road towards Ian's office it became really crazy. Most of the roads looked as though they had rivers pouring down them-- and we learned pretty quickly that every road we needed to go on was blocked.
Angie was kind enough to send me this video that she had taken with her iphone. This road was the second attempt we had made to get to Ian's office... the first being blocked with a firetruck. And mind you, I had just driven through about a half of foot of water before having to turn around right here.
Up to this point, Angie and I were kind of laughing with surprise and shock at the mess we had gotten ourselves into but after this point we were pretty fed up. I called Ian and explained that I couldn't get to him. He was then saved by his dad's big truck and was fine. Angie and I on the other hand had to try and get home and found that we were in a labyrinth of flooding and dead ends. We finally were able to find a road that wasn't blocked and it took us almost all the way back to our work. Square one.
It was a pretty freaky day. A lot of people had to abandon their cars just to get home. At one point it began to hail. It sounded like someone was throwing large rocks at my car. I was finally able to come home and thankfully Ian followed close behind. Here's a picture that Ian's friend took with her cellphone of the gas station by our Kroger:
So yeah. Still a major fan of Kentucky weather. But I think I'll be a little more wary next time she's in one of her moods.

1 comment:
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah! Scary! That was the day I talked to you on video chat wasn't it? I thought you said a foot! Not that much. I'm glad you are safe
Post a Comment